Biggest newsmaker last week was F8 event. Usually Facebook focused on web technologies, but this time major updates came from AR/VR field. It is worth to read Facebook Developers news blog to understand what FB proposed this year. Here is all videos from the conference.
I really appreciate all the people who spent some time on filling WWDC 2017 predictions questionnaire. It is far away from the state I can say – I have enough answers, so, if you have not participated yet, please do it now.
- Swift range containment operator ?. Good extension for work with ranges.
- Swift is really advanced language, but created to be easy to learn. This means that most developers will never use or understand how language works and how to use advanced language features to make high performance and stable applications. Here is two articles about Swift from Computer Science point of view. Personally, I find it as a positive moment and the good sign about maturity of the language:
- The Algebra of Predicates and Sorting Functions. This is really deep understanding of how Swift works. Must read
- Swift enums are “sum” types. That makes them very interesting
- Caffe2 on iOS – Deep Learning Tutorial. Step by step tutorial on how to use Caffe2 announced at F8 event on iOS. At least it’s good to know and remember as alternative to Apple’s ML framework and IBM Watson.
- Swift Algorithm Club: Swift Depth First Search
A lot accepted proposals:
- SE-0161: Smart KeyPaths: Better Key-Value Coding for Swift. Turning #keyPath (which transform expression to String) to safe type reference.
- SE-0163: String Revision: Collection Conformance, C Interop, Transcoding but with two revisions
- SE-0164: Remove final support in protocol extensions. Fixing inconsistency between idea and current state of Swift
- SE-0168: Multi-Line String Literals.
let a = """ multi line text """
- SE-0169: Improve Interaction Between private Declarations and Extensions discontinue fileprivate for extensions
- AnimatedSwitch. UISwitch which paints over the parent view with the color in Swift. Updated to Swift 3.1
- Fire-in-Swift. A delightful HTTP/HTTPS networking framework for iOS/macOS/watchOS/tvOS platforms written in Swift
- AlertTransition. AlertTransition is a extensible library for making view controller transitions, especially for alert transitions
- Design-Patterns-In-Swift. Design Patterns implemented in Swift
- Podcast: Fragmented 080: 10 Books Android developers should read
- Synchronize Android data for online/offline app – [Sync Adapter]
- QuadTreeAndroid. Library that helps to implement the QuadTree in android, by using splitting images
- Getting featured on Apple TV vs. iOS. Case study from the developer of Epic Orchestra game ?
- Starting April 25, 2017 at 10 a.m. PDT, Search Ads will be available on the App Store in the UK, Australia, and New Zealand
- Staying competitive with app updates. Four keypoints which worth to follow
Cover photo by Mikael Kristenson
If you wrote article or framework for iOS and Android and want it to be published in the next mobile development digest then send me the link.